Thursday, December 13, 2012

Soccer

I love soccer. I have been playing soccer since I was eight years old. I would eat, breathe, sleep the concept of soccer and made it a priority in my life besides spending time with family. I have always wanted to be a professional soccer player, however my doubts began while attending junior college in San Diego.

I have always been a team player, and whether it is work related, or within a relationship, my integrity exemplifies my inclusiveness among others. I tried out for my junior college's soccer team in 2008, and made the team. I was a defensive player and practiced extra hard to maintain my position on the field. My coach had other coaches from Universities come out to watch our practices, and he even invited them to a few games. I started, played and finished every games the entire season. The second season, was when reality set in that becoming a professional athlete is surrounded by nothing but politics.

During my second season of soccer, a lot of freshman tried out for the team who have played soccer as long as I have played. My coach was so intrigued by the youth of the new girls who were coming out to try out, so by the first soccer game, way beyond the many practices we had, he put all the new freshman on the roster for the first away game. I did not pay any mind to it that I was not on the roster because I believed he was just giving them experience playing against other soccer teams. A few weeks later, I personally asked my coach why I was not getting any play time. He claimed that I would not get any play time the rest of the season because there was too much talent I was competing with.

After that reality check with my coach, I came to the realize that sports were not something to make your life, it is almost how you should think of a relationship: when you make something, what you refer to as "your life", like what people do in relationships, it becomes a disappointment later. I acted like I did not expect it coming, however I never should have made soccer my life. Now, I have decided to coach soccer, not because I secretly wish I want to be a professional soccer player, but because I have always had a love for the sport. Whether I am still playing on a team or not, I will always carry soccer as a fundamental part of me and my growing experience. I will coach soccer because I enjoy the sport and when you love something, no matter what happens, you should never give up on it when it has been so substantial to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment